Transitioning to a more integrated strategy and organisational maturity requires leaders to bring together the key elements of the operating model, such as governance, processes, capabilities, infrastructure, technology, services and partners. When these elements do not align with the new approach, cracks appear, cultural change is hampered, and strategies fail to deliver.
An Australian Government agency recently adopted more integrated and customer-focused outcomes and needed to test whether their governance arrangements could deliver new performance and compliance requirements. The agency’s Executive Team approached Iceni to review the suitability of their current governance arrangements.
The Agency was transitioning from a small functional organisation to a more mature and collaborative organisation. New outcomes were recently set with minimal consideration of the operating model and how it would best support the strategy. This meant limited engagement of the team in the change and an inconsistent governance framework.
Our role was to provide expert advice to develop a governance framework, supporting documentation and guide the team for implementation. As part of this, we:
- Independently assessed the existing governance arrangements and structures, including review of governance groups and their alignment with the new strategy.
- Made recommendations for a new consolidated governance framework that balanced the focus on performance and conformance requirements.
- Established new principles of how governance is undertaken by engaging the Executive and governance teams in co-designing ideal governance arrangements.
- Collaborated with the team to map, develop and test ways to embed better governance and tools for implementation.
- High collaboration achieved early buy-in from operating teams to the new governance framework.
- Acceleration of the Executive Team’s momentum to build a fit-for-purpose governance framework and structure for the future.
- Pragmatic recommendations for a staged transition to the new governance framework.
- Increase awareness of current governance structures, hierarchy of governance bodies and decision-making practices.
- Practical suite of governance resources and tools for teams to implement the new governance framework, including decision making matrix.
Iceni delivered a fit-for-purpose governance framework supported by refreshed processes and tools for internal efficiencies. It also heightened awareness of how governance supports the new customer-centric operating environment across the teams.
If you need help to align your operations to a new operating model or refresh you governance approaches to support new directions, contact us now to see how our practical and pragmatic approach might accelerate your transition.